Wednesday, April 17, 2013

If not now, when?










sweater: thrifted (via Fawn on a Lawn) | shorts: Forever 21 | belt: thrifted | tights: gift | shoes: Target

Maybe it's the fact that we are finally experiencing some approximation of spring weather in Michigan, or maybe it's just that my new apartment and new job have me in the mood to take on new challenges...but whatever the reason, I'm finally taking steps to accomplish something I've always wanted to try: selling art prints.

Ever since I began taking over graphic design duties at my old job, I've had this lingering feeling of being an impostor. After all, I'm not a trained designer. I didn't go to school for it, and the last graphic design class I had was back in tenth grade. In some sense, I was worried that I would be "found out." It's a ridiculous (but common) feeling. I didn't realize how ridiculous it was, though, until I had a  lightbulb moment when listening to Austin Kleon's phenomenal talk "Steal Like an Artist":
There’s this very real thing that runs rampant in educated people. It’s called imposter syndrome. The clinical definition is a “psychological phenomenon in which people are unable to internalize their accomplishments.” It means that you feel like a phony, like you’re just winging it, that you really don’t have any idea what you’re doing. Guess what? None of us do.

So I'm done feeling like an impostor - I can hardly imagine a more self-defeating endeavor than that! I expect I'm going to be humbled, and I expect I'm going to learn a lot. But I could hardly be more excited. I posted my first piece on a few sites last night (a Doctor Who fan piece - what else?) and got a great response. I'm going to give this all I've got, and I can't wait to share with you.

On a side note: it's awesome to be posting outfits again! My all-yellow outfit from a couple weeks ago was intended to be a bit of an April Fool's post (yellow is my favorite color, and it's by far the most-represented color in my wardrobe) but I'm glad you all liked it - I had fun with it!

Also - there are just a few days left to vote for me in Fleet Collection's April contest! If you haven't already voted for my picture, I would really appreciate it if you could take a moment to do so. Thanks!

11 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore this sweater! great look, and I love the quote as well!

    tr[i]b[e]cca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sweater! SO perfect for you!

    www.shannonheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that sweater! You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it! Talent is not only coming from people who studied art, or even who paid for these studies. (Sometimes you even got those ones who did study art, and you wonder how...!)
    Now, spread the links! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure I'll be having that impostor feeling once I have a real job. I already feel like an impostor of an actual adult because I've been in school so long without ever having an adult people job. Sad.
    Anyyyyway! You look so so cute in this outfit! I'm in love with the way these shorts look with the black floral tights. Your fox sweater is perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be sharing the links once the prints are available :) I've ordered some proofs to test it out, so it shouldn't be long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. this shirt is amazing! It looks great on you! You are so stylish. So happy you have a cute fox shirt!!! Although I know you have a fox dress - but that was a dress...you need a fox shirt too. and now fox pants. and then fox socks. :)

    2. I think it's awesome you are doing some artwork with your design experience. And don't ever feel like an impostor You don't have to go to school to be an artist, designer, photographer, etc. I'll admit I felt like an impostor as well when I first tried my crack at graphic design and I keep getting humbled every time I take on a new project. Even if it's just on my own for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this outfit! And your hair looks so wonderful styled like that!! Also, I noticed the all-yellow thing and thought, "She actually does wear yellow a lot..." but I guess no one else thought to mention it either!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loveeeeee this! I'm featuring it on my blog. And design in one of those things - you can have a degree in it and not necessarily be great. If you have talent, do it. Technically I have a degree in product design, not graphic, doesn't stop me from making graphic and web design my career!

    ReplyDelete