Thursday, September 27, 2012

Weather systems


dress: vintage (Bluesville USA) | scarf: vintage | cardigan: Forever 21 | beret: Target | shoes: thrifted

Are you sick of me waxing poetic about my love for autumn? Bad news - it's not going to stop anytime soon. It already feels strange looking back at my last post and seeing bare legs everywhere...tights weather is officially here to stay, and I couldn't be happier. As soon as the weather dipped into the low sixties, I practically ran to my closet: "Velvet! Tights! Berets!" And this outfit was born. I wore it for a photoshoot at an outdoor farmer's market, and there was the most wonderful crispness to the air. How nice it was to get out of the office and get some fresh air! I live for these days of early fall.

At first I thought that, with the beret, maybe this outfit was too much...something, I don't know. But now I think I love it. I'm fickle that way. I felt very French, and looked it, too - or so people told me. Anyway, I'd been wanting to dig out this beret ever since I saw Moonrise Kingdom. (Oh, Suzy Bishop's wardrobe...) I hadn't worn it in years - partially because I felt I didn't know how to wear it properly. I think I did okay with it this time around!




I remember I posted a while back about my summer to-do list. Well...we didn't do so great at accomplishing much on the list, sadly. Much of it was for good reasons: Chris got swamped with a ton of art commissions, for one thing, which was wonderful! But part of it, I must say, was that I just let time get away from me. I'm not proud of that - I know it's just a silly to-do list and it's not the end of the world, but I really would like to get better at planning.

So now that we're into autumn, it's time for a fresh start. We're going to draw up a brand new to-do list, and we're determined to conquer it this time! I feel like I haven't had a truly full autumn since...wow, it might have been since high school. That's just not acceptable. This year, I'm going to be all about pumpkin patches and apple orchards and cider presses and long walks on leaf-covered paths...mark my words!





Also on the to-do list? ArtPrize! ArtPrize is one of those things that makes Grand Rapids truly a special place to live. For the past four years, for two weeks or so in September, our whole downtown has been basically transformed into a giant art gallery. There are pieces of art adorning the sides of buildings, the inside of restaurants, the streets, the sidewalks...anywhere and everywhere. It's an art competition, yes, but it's also an incredible chance to build community. I've never seen anything like it. It's been underway for a little over a week now, but I haven't read up on any of the entries because I want to see them in person...so I can't wait to see what this year's competition has in store!

I hope your fall has gotten off to a great start! Have you done anything autumn-ish yet?



11 comments:

  1. I really like all the colors in your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors and textures are perfect for fall! It's not quite crisp here, but it's getting cooler.

    I know what you mean about time slipping away! I've made the same resolution - to actually complete my goals this season! It can be hard, even if the goals don't seem harrowing or even 'important.'

    http://whiskeybreakfast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the last photo is so beautiful, you look amazing. and i love the colors of your outfit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this outfit so much, especially the beret is perfect!
    And you are so pretty!
    x
    http://losttinafairytale.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  5. the yellow beret is lovely, fall colors are the best :) I have yet to see the famous Moonlight Kingdom, because it's now out in my country yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your velvet! Tights! And beret!! :P

    http://theoccasionalindulgence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your blog and your style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you've worn the beret fantastically! Although I swoon at pretty much anything velvet, I have to say that I love this dress! The color and the shape are so great. Happy fall!

    Natalie
    aspoonfullofsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm so glad it's cool enough for all your fall clothes. I'm patiently awaiting the day when I can wear my tights and berets every day - or nearly every day! I really love your green velvet dress too. The color is so cool. I think the beret looks amazing on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there!
    From time to time I enter into my Chictopia account and search for cute new inspiration... and I just found you!
    You've got a pretty style and lovely blog... and from now, a new fan <3!

    Stay beautiful :)

    Libertad
    http://sahakiel.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fellow fox lover! One of my own :)

    ReplyDelete