Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One more time with feeling

Dear blog, how I've missed you! I can hardly believe it's been nearly a month (!) since my last outfit post. There were times during the holiday madness when I felt a little pang of guilt for ignoring my little corner of the internet, but ultimately, I'm glad I let myself relax and enjoy Christmas and family without stressing out.

And what a Christmas it was. In a spectacular case of bad timing, I ended up getting sick on the morning of the 25th, and I'm still recovering...but you know what? This was one of the best Christmases I can remember. I can't put my finger on exactly what made this year so special. Maybe it was that my nieces and nephews are at fun ages and saying sweet things ("But I wanted to stay here every day until we die!" said my nephew as they pulled out of the driveway). Maybe it's that my sister-in-law is expecting, and her quiet joy is contagious. Maybe it was the coziness of curling up with Chris on Christmas Eve and eating homemade soup and watching the Fellowship of the Ring. In all likelihood, it was a combination of all of the above, in addition to many little things...and you know, I'm pretty sure I end up thinking that each year is better than the last. Regardless, it was wonderfully laid back - and over too quickly. But isn't that how it always goes?




And now, just as quickly as Christmas came and went, the new year is here - and I'll be turning twenty-four on Friday. I've had some people ask me if it's weird having a birthday that's so close to Christmas and the new year, and I never quite know how to answer. It's all I know, after all! But I suppose my birthday is a bit strange: it's not only ten days after Christmas, it's also the same as my brother's birthday. It's quite the story! It's so long and convoluted that I've only heard the whole thing, in detail, twice. Someday I really need to write it down, but for now, here's the ultra-condensed version: my brother had begged my parents for a sister, so when he found out my mom was pregnant and due in January, he was convinced that it would be a sister born on his birthday. My parents were sure I was a boy, and my mom wasn't due until the end of the month. Well, to everyone's surprise (except my brother's), I made my debut three weeks early - and was most definitely a girl.

That's the gist of it, minus the juicy details about how I was born right in the middle of an interstate move and I became incredibly ill and my mom and I ended up in two different hospitals...but you get the basic idea! I think it's kind of hilarious how complicated my birth story is, seeing as how I've lived a refreshingly drama-free life since then.




I've been gone from this blog for so long, it seems like I have endless things to share, but I'll keep this short so as to avoid writing a novel here. I hope you all are having a wonderful start to your 2013! Did you do anything fun to kick off the new year?






dress: Charlotte Russe (ages ago!) | top: Ruche | beret: Target | boots: ModCloth | coat: Forever 21 | gloves: thrifted

13 comments:

  1. I love the contrast between your hair and the yellow color of your hat and jacket! This outfit looks lovely on you! I can't wait to see what you have in store for 2013!

    http://thehonestfox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of your and your brother's birthdays is just about the sweetest thing I've ever read. That would be so cool to incorporate into a story (I'm always collecting interesting tidbits for stuff like that). Aside from that, I know what you mean about this particular holiday season. Everything was understand but wonderful. Also, gingham is one of my favorite patterns and your shirt is just killin' me mixed with those florals. Great post all around, I quite enjoyed your return

    Ashlyn
    Triple Thread

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute cute cute!!! love the mustard yellow and the different prints matched together!! It goes really well! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love these colors together. Especially the mustard beret with your pretty red hair!

    And that story of your brother wanting a sister born on his birthday - SO SWEET! I have a brother who is a year older than me...he was so jealous when my twin sister and I were born. It's so sweet to hear of a brother who was actually begging for a little sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw what a precious story! Childhood innocence always warms my heart. And, I must say I love your beret matching your jacket!

    The Occasional Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your birth story! That's definitely a strange coincidence that you were born on your brother's birthday. It's also pretty cool, I think!
    Anyway, this outfit is so adorable. I'm in love with the yellow beret against your red hair and the mixed prints are great together. I'm loving your cool boots too.
    I hope you're over your sickness by now! I've been sick on Christmas before too and it's no fun. Especially when everyone else is sick at the same time! Ughh haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always get really happy when I see mustard yellow pieces. It's my favorite color, and I it looks greats paired with your red locks. I love this color combination, and especially those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loveee this outfit! Happy birthday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. That outfit is so much fun. And the story about you and your brother sharing the same birthday is too much.

    http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this outfit on you!!! Such a cute mix of prints and colors. You look totally gorgeous.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice combo- the hat is just wonderful and those colours esp. mustard suits you so well ! xx

    ReplyDelete