Sunday, August 26, 2012

Le temps de l'amour

dress: Forever 21 | shoes: Charlotte Russe

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments on my last outfit post! There is still so much I need to mull over, but so far, I feel really good about my decision to give up fast fashion for 6 months. I've only just begun dabbling in research. One thing I plan to look for is companies that are sweatshop free, such as American Apparel. I think a lot of their business practices are great, and that in general they're worth supporting...but though I love the fact that they don't airbrush their models, I have to be honest, I've always found their ads kind of sleazy. I suppose I'm still in search of the perfect company. Thrift stores are always safe, I guess!

Somewhat ironically, in this post - my first outfit post since swearing off fast fashion - I am wearing a Forever 21 dress and Charlotte Russe shoes. But I'm not about to throw away all the clothes I've ever gotten at the mall. Instead, I plan to wear them until they're threadbare, and then stick by the World-War-II-era slogan from the UK:  "Make do and mend." (Which, in a way, I did for this dress: it was so short it made me super uncomfortable, so I had my sister let out the hem a great deal. I love having a sister who's a sewing genius!)



 

The other night, Chris and I went to see Moonrise Kingdom - at last! He's been getting me into Wes Anderson films lately, and I can't believe I had gone this long without seeing them. Every time I finish watching one, I find myself wanting to step into the world in that film. I could live without having a family as dysfunctional as the Tenenbaums, but I would love to have Nico playing in the background as I step off the bus (in slow motion, of course). I don't want to get struck by lightning like Sam in Moonrise, but I would love to live in a world of teals and oranges and mustard yellows and Francoise Hardy records playing on the beach.

I think I've just talked myself into watching one of his films today. Do any of you have a favorite?





I'm absolutely delighted that August is drawing to a close - not just because autumn is my favorite season, but also because this month has been so busy I've hardly been able to catch my breath. Two weddings, two funerals, a new niece born (finally!), another niece turning 1, driving all over the country in a weekend, a huge project at work...I will welcome September with open arms. Now that I'm not in school anymore, I'm going to use it as a month to relax.

I hope you all have had a great weekend! Are you doing anything awesome to close out the summer?



17 comments:

  1. What a pretty place to take pictures. And I love how you styled your hair. You look beautiful as always.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are so beautiful, and what a stunning location... love that you're delving into more "ethical fashion," that's one thing I love about thrifting, it's gentler on the environment & it's more recycled rather than newly purchased. Hope you're having a fab Sunday!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great! Your photos came out lovely. I love what your doing, inspiring!

    Angela @ the Lovely Cup

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh ps. My favorite Wes Anderson film (if not Moonrise Kingdom) it is The Fantastic Mr. Fox! I love that one, you must see it. Royal T is always a strange and great one too :)

    Wes Anderson actually taught my cousin in Houston in middle school. So cool huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hair! I really enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom but my favorite is still Life Aquatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i love your dress and these pictures are beautiful <3 i've just discovered your blog and it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautifull place for taking pictures! And your dress is wonderfull!

    X
    http://losttinafairytale.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous. The bow on that dress is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute dress! Rushmore is a great Wes Anderson film, as is The Life Aquatic. I think the Life Aquatic is my favourite Wes Anderson film.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this dress looks so wonderful on you! and it's awesome that your sister fixed it a bit for you so now it's more wearable. :)
    also your hair is gorgeous. i love the color.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you always feature Michigan nature in your posts. :) Looking lovely, as usual -- I adore the sailoresque nature of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the dress is so cute, I love it and photos are nice as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow I love this dress so much, the top details are incredible :)

    Drawing Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a darling dress and the photos came out wonderfully. Im all for being fast fashion free, but I have to agree with you about American Apparel. Their ads are sexy but in a vulgar way that just turns me off. Plus I've seen interviews with the CEO and he just looks/acts like a sleaze bag.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful as always<3 I love that dress!
    Hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well hope your search ends well. The area looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete