Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How I survive 9-5: a cubicle tour


Something a little different on the blog today! No outfit to share. Instead, I have something else that's very important to have dressed up: my cubicle at work.

When I graduated college, I had no idea what I wanted to do. None. For all those of you who haven't graduated yet and don't have an idea of what kind of job you want to have...well, it's not necessarily a path I would recommend, but it has definitely worked out in my case. I majored in something I loved - creative writing - and was lucky enough to find a position that used those skills. I was (and still am) very grateful for that.

However, I never really saw myself as a 9-to-5er. It's great for paying bills, but it has certainly been an adjustment. So that's why I took it upon myself to make sure my cubicle was as welcoming and cozy as possible. We recently moved offices, and though my cube is ever evolving, I thought it would be nice to give you a little snapshot of what I see 40 hours a week. Without further ado:


Pictured, in no particular order: my niece and nephew, Chris and me, my sisters and me, an icon, various vintage photos from antique stores

If there's one area that's lacking in my cubicle (if you can call an almost-completely-covered cubicle lacking), it's the personal photos. I never really realized before, but since almost all of my photos are digital, I almost never have physical copies! It's a sad state of affairs, and one that I definitely hope to mend soon...

Besides my corner for personal photos, I have to have things that make me laugh:


As well as lovely things:


Lots and lots of tea (my boss always jokes with me that I should open up a tea shop) and fresh flowers when possible, this time picked by my coworker Erin:



And, always, as much art as I can cram on the walls - most of it Alphonse Mucha. The moment I knew I would get along with my coworkers was when I was there for orientation and saw that two of the people I'd be working with had Mucha prints in their cubicles!




Pictured, in no particular order: Beatles poster, random vintage sheet music, an autographed photo of silent film star Dorothy Janis, random art, and a print from an essay reading I gave in college


Left to right: Chris's painting of Annie Clark/St. Vincent, a fox print from a local artist, and Chris's gorgeous birthday present to me this year (I cried when I first saw it!)

And the final ingredient for surviving a 9-to-5 job?

Why, coffee, of course.


Do any of you artsy types out there work in an office? What are your survival tips?

19 comments:

  1. ...this makes me miss my cube, just a little.

    As I did the first time I left our 9-5, I stashed most of my cube decor in a case. When and if I have a home or cube office, it'll all be back up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Mucha (though, I'll admit I only really grew interested after staying in Prague a month. The things he did for that city!)

    In our last building, I had a wall of quotes that inspired me when I was down (seeing as I was in a windowless computer lab in an outdated schools about to be abandoned...not always happy feeling). They made me remember my goals. In our new school building though (Um, I teach computers at an elementary), I don't have a lot yet; which is partly intentional. This new building is so clean and bright, I don't want to clutter it up! But little touches. Oz illustration prints and a calendar, some personal photos, a tin dog the kids like, and five bright, graphic-y posters of the classroom rules.

    Thanks for sharing your cubicle with us!

    PS what is your job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're cube is amazing :) The color is so vibrant from all the different things you have in there, it makes it a sunny day, every day.

    Sidenote: I always loved your tea station. It introduced me to new teas, I'd never heard of before. Pomegranate raspberry mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, you personalized cube looks so cool and comfortable. It makes me, dare I say, a little excited at the idea of ever working a 9-5 job. Lovely post...and I have to mention how beautiful your desktop wallpaper is! Such a lovely, almost ethereal photograph. :)

    <3 Samantha
    http://www.nerdysam.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice captured. the owl is very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your office cube is wonderful, it makes me want to work there. If I end up working in a 9-5 office job I will definitely have to use the ideas you have used.

    Natasha xo
    http://thenightiswild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cubicle is so much fun! It gives me some inspiration to decorate my cube a bit. Lovely blog!!! I love the fox illustrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun and creative space! I wish I could decorate my desk but I work in the front where all the clients come in so it has to be boring and sparsely decorated. So lame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved this post! Your cubicle seems so warm and cozy. I'm currently in college and majoring in creative writing, though I plan on being a librarian. Maybe I'll also have a little desk I can spruce up one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have done such an incredible job brightening up the space! I absolutely love the art you chose - Mucha is a genius <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just graduated with a creative writing degree--thanks for giving me hope that I can actually get a job that uses that! ;) xo Charity

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is really cute! yes you are lucky to have found a job that coincides with your major/interests! you have the most decorated cubicle i have ever seen!!

    -Jessica
    http://runninginsideus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want your cube!!!

    www.katiescreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. so cute! i would love to sit there all day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw I love how personalized your cubical is! All that tea looks delicious too. I'll definitely have to do some nice decorating like you when I get a job. Luckily I have a couple years of grad school before I have to think about that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love it! it looks so happy :3 although i'm not yet old enough to work in a cubicle, i love covering my locker in photos too.

    Zia
    singing-blue.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh goodness, I LOVE this! I'm trying to make my cubicle more fun, and this is totally inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How much can I say that I love print art, and what you have made of it is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cubicle tour! Very clever. I need to do more of that to my own space. I work at home, but I still have to have an office space set aside. I am currently surrounded by my own art creations, but I could do so much more. Thanks for the ideas.

    xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete